Search This Blog

Wednesday 12 January 2011

VCD Reservation Pool Capacity

I’ve been playing with some capacity stuff in the cloud, and have used PowerCLI to gather some allocation information for each of the Org vDCs that exist (such as reservation allocated to each vDC & reservations used by the VMs in it).

This has gone swimmingly for PAYG & Allocation Pools, but for Reservation Pools I made the assumption that no VMs in the vDC would have any reservations. I thought I should get some data to validate my script, so created a couple of random vApps in a test Reservation Pool vDC. I ran my script and found that actually reservations existed for some of the VMs.

The reason is that for Reservation Pools only, the resource settings come directly from the template VM, so if the template was created on an Allocation Pool vDC, those settings will be transferred when this template is cloned.

I believe that this is a bug rather than a feature.

No comments: